It's the month to do something spooky and Halloween related in the art room! I have lots of lesson plans, but wanted to try something different this year. I decided to go with a sculpture project.
I have a coil of very easy to bend copper wire. I thought it would be great for mummy sculptures. Any project using the figure teaches so much about proportions and measurements. You have to consider the structure of something and how it comes together in layers.
WHAT WORKED: My first class didn't use the paper towel step. They only added toweling inside the wire loop head. They had a lot more problems wrapping their mummies than the next class did! The paper towels taped to the wire armature really helped give them something to hold onto and to wrap around without it slipping off. Using the glue gun to tack the end on before wrapping also helped. Use only the lo-temp guns if kids are doing it themselves! Even those can get hot enough to hurt. My second class also had the thought to add google eyes, which were a fun addition. I also had to remind the kids to pull the wrapping snug as they wrapped. If you do it too loose it will unravel and fall off! One last tip: making the arms and legs a little longer will make posing them later a lot easier!
I just love working on projects together as a class. It is great to see how the kids feed off of each other's ideas. In the early days of Flowerstone Art there was a lot of "She STOLE my idea!" and now things have changed and I hear "Who wants a great idea?" called out across the classroom. This collaborative project still has an element of individuality since we aren't creating one big work, but working on our own projects using Stamps that each student has made.
Using the hand drawing from last week (or a vase drawing) we planned to make rubber stamps from some blocks I made from 2x4's. I used the white board to lead a discussion about the many shapes of flowers. Making flowers on a rubber stamp is a lot different than drawing them. We had to talk about how to make them out of SHAPES that could be cut out of fun foam and arranged on the block to create a flower stamp. I had the kids try it on the white board a few times until I thought they had the hang of it. Then they drew the flower on the paper side of adhesive fun foam. I had them make the stamps from double sheets of fun foam to make them thicker stamps. They cut out the shapes and stuck them to the block this week. I'll show you the rest with a slide show to make it more interesting. The finished projects are so beautiful and will be a beautiful exhibit at this year's art show!
Flowerstone Art School
School is in session!